What is Syntocinon used for?
- What is Syntocinon used for?
- Is Syntocinon the same as oxytocin?
- What is the indication of Syntocinon?
- How long does Syntocinon take to work?
- How do I start Syntocinon?
- What are the side effects of oxytocin?
- Is Syntocinon a diuretic?
- Does Syntocinon cross the blood brain barrier?
- How can I ripen my cervix faster?
- Which gland makes oxytocin?
- What is syntocinon and how does it work?
- How do you administer syntocinon IV?
- Can syntocinon be given as a bolus?
- What is the uterine effect of syntocinon ® (oxytocin)?
What is Syntocinon used for?
It belongs to a group of medicines called oxytocics that make the muscles of the womb contract. Syntocinon is used: to start or help contractions during childbirth (labour) to help in the management of a miscarriage to prevent and control bleeding after delivery of your baby during a caesarean section.
Is Syntocinon the same as oxytocin?
Syntocinon is a man-made chemical that is identical to a natural hormone called oxytocin. It works by stimulating the muscles of the uterus (womb) to produce rhythmic contractions.
What is the indication of Syntocinon?
Indications and Usage for Syntocinon Syntocinon® (oxytocin) injection is indicated for the medical rather than the elective induction of labor. Available data and information are inadequate to define the benefits to risk considerations in the use of the drug product for elective induction.
How long does Syntocinon take to work?
When Syntocinon is given by continuous i.v. infusion at doses appropriate for induction or enhancement of labour, the uterine response sets in gradually and usually reaches a steady state within 20 to 40 minutes.
How do I start Syntocinon?
Oxytocin in labour should be constituted by adding 10 IU oxytocin to 1 litre of 0.9% normal saline starting at an infusion rate of 1-5mU/min (6-30 ml per hour). The infusion rate may be increased by 1-5mU/min (6-30ml/hour) every 15-30 minutes up to a maximum of 30mU/min (180 ml/hour).
What are the side effects of oxytocin?
- convulsions (seizures)
- difficulty in breathing.
- fast or irregular heartbeat.
- headache (continuing or severe)
- pelvic or abdominal pain (severe)
- skin rash or itching.
Is Syntocinon a diuretic?
Synthetic oxytocin injections were given on the premise that she had a selective deficiency of oxytocin with normal vasopressin production. This treatment produced a diuresis and restored a normal excretory rhythm of water, creatinine and electrolytes.
Does Syntocinon cross the blood brain barrier?
Synthetic oxytocin is chemically identical to the natural oxytocin released by women in labour and birth. However it has different effects because it is administered IV and does not cross into the labouring woman's brain.
How can I ripen my cervix faster?
Try a Birthing Ball: Rocking, bouncing, and rotating your hips on a birthing ball also opens the pelvis, and it may speed up cervical dilation. Walk Around: Don't underestimate the power of gravity! When walking, your baby will press against the cervix, which might help it efface and dilate.
Which gland makes oxytocin?
The peripheral actions of oxytocin mainly reflect secretion from the pituitary gland.
What is syntocinon and how does it work?
- Syntocinon is a man-made chemical that is identical to a natural hormone called oxytocin. It works by stimulating the muscles of the uterus (womb) to produce rhythmic contractions.
How do you administer syntocinon IV?
- Syntocinon should be administered as an intravenous (i.v.) drip infusion or, preferably, by means of a variable-speed infusion pump. For drip infusion it is recommended that 5 IU of Syntocinon be added to 500ml of a physiological electrolyte solution (such as sodium chloride 0.9%).
Can syntocinon be given as a bolus?
- Syntocinon must only be administered as an i.v. infusion and never by i.v. bolus injection as it may cause an acute short-lasting hypotension accompanied with flushing and reflex tachycardia. The induction of labour by means of oxytocin should be attempted only when strictly indicated for medical reasons.
What is the uterine effect of syntocinon ® (oxytocin)?
- With intravenous injection, the uterine effect appears within 1 minute and is of more brief duration. Syntocinon ® (oxytocin) injection is indicated for the medical rather than the elective induction of labor.